Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day Four: The End is in Sight...at Least the End of This Week!

It's Day Four of Food Week in the Seven Experiment. (Read this post for the back story!).

No one's died or been rushed to the hospital for an IV drip from lack of energy. Although I did momentarily consider acupuncture yesterday for this headache...momentarily.

For the most part, I think we've all turned the corner and are embracing what we're learning about ourselves - good or bad. But, dear friends, don't let that fool you to think there might not be seven lovely ladies standing in their kitchens staring into refrigerators and pantries at 12:01 a.m. Sunday...ok, maybe that's just me. 

Results thus far (in addition to the previous notes):

1. My friends are funny. I wish you could be privy to the dialogue between this amazing group of ladies - so encouraging of one another and so real about their struggles. Suffering together has definitely been a great relationship builder for us.


2. Granola bars without chocolate taste like cardboard. No further explanation needed.  

3. I've lost 5 lbs in 4 days. So, this might sound like I'm bragging or a good thing, but it's really more of a slap in the face about the excessiveness in my diet. My diet would send a nutritionist into the fetal position and make him/her regret their career choice. I'm pretty sure I've eliminated between 2,500 and 3,000 (EMPTY) calories A DAY with just seven things...pretty sure that's more than I'm supposed to eat TOTAL each day. 

4. I eat to cope. Yesterday was a rough day for a number of reasons and it was all I could do not to pop on in to Sonic and grab some mozzarella sticks and a LARGE Dr. Pepper (at 8:30, mind you!). I put my pajamas on as soon as I got home to prevent an outing. Whatever works, people. I know my limits. 

5. I miss cheese more than Dr. Pepper. Yes, I just wrote that. 

6. I need change in my life...and food is only the beginning. I'm not sure where this is going, but if you're curious, just hit that "Join this site" button to the right and follow along to see what God does with this experience. For now, I know He's moving me to purge the excess and teaching me that I deal with stress and failure and difficulty in ways that are in direct opposition to His word.

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. 
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 
Philippians 4:6 (NLT)

Next week is clothes. Originally, I thought this was going to be my tough week, but I'm pretty sure it will feel like a piece of cake after this week. We'll be wearing only seven items (in a myriad of fashionable combos, I'm sure!) for seven days. I'm actually looking forward to the simplicity - pretty sure it will come down to a daily this or that decision (In case you're wondering, under garments and pjs are freebies). Working on that list...

My life is full of excess. I didn't need this experiment to admit that, but I think God is using this to reveal excess in areas I wanted to hide or others that I wasn't even aware of. I hope over the next seven weeks, He can help me restore balance and reestablish priorities that are HIS - not my worldly wants. 

Are there areas of excess in your life? What would balance look like for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment