Thursday, August 1, 2013

The First Two Months

Wow! I wrote today's date and realized today is my two-month anniversary to have joined the Hispaniola Mountain Ministries staff! It's gone by so quickly and I have enjoyed every minute of it (Well, almost every minute. There were those two hours on hold with Paypal that one day...). I spoke a few weeks ago to a Sunday School class and afterward, a sweet man came up with a twinkle in his eye and said, "It's a shame you're not more passionate about what you do!' LOVE IT!

Sharing with the Louisville Emmaus
Community at their July meeting. 
I have traveled to several different churches and organizations sharing the work of HMM and its ministries in Haiti and the
Dominican Republic. I am so encouraged by the compassion others show for these countries and by their willingness to partner - both financially and prayerfully - for the Haitian and Dominican people. There is much to be done and much needed to get it all done; I am grateful for the doors God has opened for more to join the effort.

Our family is quickly approaching our fundraising deadline (August 15) and we are nearly to the halfway mark. While my natural instinct is to panic and start double-guessing myself and this decision, I am certain God is going to show up BIG in these next few weeks. Many people have asked how they can come alongside our family in this journey, so here it is:

1. Pray. Pray daily for our family as we adjust to being a two-ministry family and learn how to juggle  those demands. Pray for the people of the Dominican and Haiti, that they might see God's love in an undeniable way through the work HMM is doing in these countries. Pray for HMM to continue to have the resources to provide relief and grow its ministries. Pray for me to have focus (and energy) as I develop the communication and fundraising aspects of this growing non-proft.

2. Give. You can establish a recurring gift or make a one-time donation to HMM online anytime. We'd love for you to consider partnering with our family by designating your gift for my salary support. We are trying to raise $25,000 by August 15 to help offset the 1/2 of my salary I gave up when I left my academic appointment. (Read this blog post if you're not sure what I'm talking about!). If you'd like to make a tax-deductible donation, click here to get started!

3. Schedule a Presentation. I am scheduling visits with churches, men's and women's organizations, civic clubs, sororities and fraternities...You get the picture - any audience willing to listen to the HMM story! Contact me to schedule a visit at laura (at) gohmm.org to set up a visit!

4. Volunteer. HMM has trips to work in the Dominican and Haiti year-round. If you'd like to experience the mission field for yourself, please let me know and we can work with your church or organization to schedule a trip or partner you with another team. We will also be hosting special events throughout the year and will need lots of state-side volunteers!

So, there you have it! This is how YOU can partner with us! And we are so incredibly grateful to all those who have already done one - or more - of these things!

PS: To all my girls - you can always host a Noonday Collection trunk show or purchase from my website to help, too! That is totally WIN-WIN-WIN! Help our artisans...Get great accessories...Help support my family! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment