Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Back to School Time

In just a few days, classes will begin at MSU and the reality of not being in the classroom as either a student or a professor for the first time...well, since I was about 4 - is about to hit me smack upside the head (And for those of you doing the math, STOP. It's not THAT many years!).

I have no idea how I'm going to feel. I like to think I'll be relieved, and even a little grateful - no grading, no class prep, no grading, no faculty meetings, no grading, no advising, no grading...you get the point. 

In reality though, I am sure I'm going to be a little sad. I'm going to miss meeting new students. I'm going to miss trying to challenge them. I'm going to miss those "Ah-ha!" moments where it all comes together. I'm going to miss drop by visits from students who have since become friends. I'm going to miss being mistaken for a student...ok, that doesn't happen as often as it used to, but I'm still going to miss it.

Don't get me wrong! I'm excited about the HMM gig and the countdown is on until I leave for my next trip (one month, if you're curious), but as I've mentioned before, I crave routine and really like comfort. I haven't gotten into my routine with this new role...and very likely won't as everyday seems to hold a new set of challenges.

Kindergarten...1981. 
So for all you going back to school, quit your whining and for Pete's sake, ENJOY IT! Sniff those new pencils and savor the look of a spiral notebook with no stragglers hiding in the wires. Take those selfies in the mirror before you leave or endure your overzealous parents' attempts at capturing first day memories! Just hold the sign and smile for them, will ya?!

Cherish each minute - good or bad - because one day, you'll miss buying new pencils and notebooks and the excitement of picking out your first-day-of-school outfit. One day, the first day of school will be just another day...

And then there's school picture day...the sign is not so bad, right?

Would love to hear some of YOUR favorite parts of the back-to-school season!

No comments:

Post a Comment