Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Tough Conversation

Tonight, I had a long-awaited conversation with Riley about my upcoming trip. After his bedtime story, I pulled up a map of the Island of Hispaniola to show him exactly where I would be traveling. He was full of questions - Would I get in a boat? Fly in an airplane? What would the bus look like? What would we eat?
The city we will stay in is on the DR-Haiti border at the bottom of the map:
Pedernales. We will work in a Haiti village just across the border: Anse-a-Pitres.
 
I answered them to the best of my ability, and eventually we moved on to what I would be doing during my trip. In his mind, a trip this long should involve the beach and a swimming pool and lots of fun things (per our family trip to Orange Beach last summer!). And while there will (hopefully) be a chance to see the nearby beach, that is far from the focus of this trip.

Thank goodness for the Internet!! I showed him several YouTube videos of the village and then we talked about the importance of CLEAN water, how different things are in Haiti from our home, and how we have more than enough of everything but there are others with very little. He listened very intently and asked a few questions (mostly about the solar-powered water well on the YouTube video...my little science nerd!). 

But when I finished, he said the most wonderful words....

"Mama, can I go on a mission with you one day?" 

My heart overflowed with joy at his compassion and desire to help these people after hearing just my descriptions and seeing videos and pictures (Don't worry, Mom! I'm not taking him to Haiti...any time soon!). I explained that he needed to be a little older, but that we would do our best to take him on a trip. He asked if Eli could go, and I told him not yet. His response? "Yeah. He wouldn't be a very good 'missioner' right now." 

So, while my heart aches at the thought of being away from my sweet family for the week, it is full of joy at the Riley's receptiveness to embrace a life of service to others. With his daddy beginning seminary in the fall, this will certainly be our life...

I finished our talk with Riley's prayer charge. For the next few weeks, I asked him to pray for these two things, so I guess I'll ask you to do the same:

1. That people will ask Jesus to come live in their hearts while we are in Haiti and we are able to share His love with as many people as possible. 

2. That God would keep Mommy safe until she can be back at home with her boys and Daddy.

10 comments:

  1. Loved that he asked could he go. My Abbey will be rooming with you, and when I went to Peru several years ago those were here exact words...funny how things come back around. Kids def imitate what they see their parents doing. Lynn Pope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to working with Abbey next week! I know we will have a wonderful week!!

      Delete
  2. Amen and Amen to your "prayer charge" Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that he focused on the solar-powered water well. Sounds a lot like my 5YO. While I'm sure you will miss your family, this is such a wonderful thing that you are doing, setting such a good example for your boys to follow. Good luck & prayers for your safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wanted to watch the video over and over! It was so funny! But when his Daddy came home, he really was able to tell him most of what we talked about. And thank you for the prayers!!

      Delete
  4. I am sure your trip will be a blessing to you and those you meet. I love the prayers you asked him to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully we'll be able to plan a trip to a country he can go to in a few years.

      Delete
  5. I just had the opportunity to read this -- at work -- and I have tears. What a great moment. So proud of you for your faithfulness to His call on your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. I am a bundle of emotions right now, but so blessed nonetheless!

      Delete