Thursday, March 3, 2011

When Waiting Turns to Worry

** WARNING **  This post has nothing to do with running!

Sunday night, I shared with our youth group some things that were on my heart that I have been struggling with. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to constant worry and here's the short version of what I shared. I hope it helps you find a place to "put" your worry....


Ever feel like you’re always waiting? I DO! I am so impatient and feel like there’s always something – or someone – I’m always waiting on.

When I was a child, it was birthdays, Christmas, summer break or maybe family vacations.

As a teen, it was driving, dating, proms and then graduation.

In college, it was Christmas/spring/summer break, graduation and, really, marriage.

As an adult, it was starting a family, vacations or even the daily wait of 5 o’clock when I can get home to my family.

And now, as a mom, I spend a lot of time waiting – first, I was waiting on the boys to arrive, then their first words, their first steps, their first whatever.

When you really think about it - I’ve probably spent the greatest part of my life “WAITING” on something – or someone. But I don't wait very patiently. In fact, I’m often very impatient. I want answers and results and oftentimes what starts out as rather innocent WAITING turns into WORRY.

And while “waiting” is probably ok. Worry is not. Let me repeat that – waiting is probably ok. But when our waiting turns to worry, we’ve got problems. God very clearly tells us throughout His word NOT to worry. Not because our problems are trivial or not important, but because He has our back, so to speak.

Let’s look at some scripture on this:

Read Matthew 6:25-34

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?
   28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. 

So, there’s no denying this. Right? God clearly says NOT to worry. And when we worry, we’re essentially saying, “God, my problems are too big for you.” Or maybe you think, “God, I don’t want to bother you with my little problems. You’ve got bigger issues at hand.” Or worse yet, “God, I don’t need you to handle MY problems – I’ve got this.”

Let’s stop for just a second and watch this video to get a better perspective on how distorted this view of our worry actually is.


Wow! The God of universes yet unseen tells ME not to worry? The God who designed galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars knows how many hairs – even the gray ones – are on MY head?

The thought may seem preposterous but it’s so true. God LONGS for a relationship with us. He longs for us to bring our problems to Him. He longs to share in our joys and victories. And it is in this relationship that we can be freed from worry.

Some may not truly understand this idea of longing - from God’s perspective - until having own your children. I didn’t. But now, at the end of the day, there is nothing I want more than to wrap my arms around my boys and hear about their days - to laugh with them and spend time with them. And there is nothing else that will satisfy that longing. Spending time with someone else’s kids is not going to get it done. I want my boys and only my boys.

And this is what God wants from us – our time. He longs to spend time with each and every one of us – because we are His children. And when we give it to Him, our worries will begin to disappear. He will comfort us. He will guide us. He will make clear our path. He will love us unconditionally. He will rejoice in the victories of our days. If He can do that - what do we have to worry about?

Henry Blackaby, the author of the “Experience God” study once wrote,  “If we walk with Him closely today, we will be the center of His will tomorrow.”

How incredible is THAT thought? That a God so immense wants ME at the center of HIS will.

So, when we’re feeling anxious about things and it begins to turn to worry, we should take it to Him and GIVE it to Him. Don’t take it to Him and continue to carry it around and stress and worry. Leave it as His feet.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 says “Pray continuously.” As our preachers said this morning, we should seek continual and unbroken conversation with God. And as you know, conversation requires both talking AND listening.

Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God.” These are eight powerful words – especially in today’s society. Some of you have had a hard time being still and staying focused during this brief devotion. But this is actually the key to letting go of our worry. GIVE the worry to Him….

and then let Him be God.

3 comments:

  1. You've hit on several of my favorite Bible passages -- maybe because I do tend to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today Dr. W! It's so amazing how God provides us with encouragement through other Christians.

    "When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,What a glory He sheds on our way! While we do His good will, He abides with us still,And with all who will trust and obey."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot tell you how wonderful your words were to hear on a day when I have been struggling with this. Thank you Dr. W. Such godly advice that I truly have taken to heart.

    ReplyDelete