CONFESSION: This week has been abysmal in terms of my training for the Country Music Half Marathon (April 30). Today is Thursday, and I have run 8 miles so far this week. Further, I did not do a long run last week. Ugh.
Some reasons for this?
1. Work is killing me. Being on this side of the "end of the semester" is no easier than it was as a student. In fact, I might argue it's actually worse. I have tenure looming over my head so the pressure for research productivity is weighing heavy, a stack of papers that need to be graded so the students can move forward with their final projects, exams to make out, interns to hire for the summer, I'm chairing one search committee and serving on another, we've been in the midst of academic advising for the fall...Ok. You get the point. At the end of the day (which has been closer to 6 or 7 lately), I'm spent and the last thing I've felt like doing is lacing up the sneaks and going for a run. And then there's...
2. The overwhelming "Mom guilt." When I have to work more, my time at home is even more precious. It's pretty hard to give up those few awake hours I have with my boys - for whatever comes up or "needs" to be done. Enough said.
3. I'm really lacking commitment to the Country Music 1/2 marathon goal because I still haven't registered. I need to commit, pay the money and plan the trip (See reason number 1 for why I'm having trouble committing to taking a day off).
4. The scale's not budging. Over the past year, I've been able to see the results of my efforts - in my clothes and on the scale - and this has been a significant source of motivation. I think my scale might be broken because it hasn't moved in several weeks. While I know this is not what I should be worried about, it does motivate me as I'm a results-oriented kind of gal.
5. Oh, and the weather has really been miserable. It was so beautiful a few weeks ago, and I was loving spring running. Enter cold, rainy weather. Yuck.
So, there you have it. My confessional for the week: I am struggling. I have a list of reasons why, but I guess if I have to find a bright side - I am working on finding solutions for all the issues and getting my groove back.