A few nights ago on Twitter, people were posting reasons they run (#whywerun); there were some really great comments. It made me start thinking about the reasons I run. I'm quickly approaching my one-year anniversary of lacing up the sneaks and the reasons have definitely changed from my initial motivation. So, here are...
The Top 10 Reasons I Continue to Run:
10. It's a great excuse to buy great looking work-out gear.
9. I like the look of surprise on people's face when I say, "I'm a runner."
8. It's an age thing. As I get older, I need to "feel" younger and running certainly makes me feel better about aging (most days, anyway!).
7. I can eat (almost) whatever I want without gaining weight.
6. I FINALLY like the way my legs look in shorts.
5. I think race t-shirts are cool.
4. I want my boys to remember me as an active/healthy mom who could keep up with them. I love the look on Riley's face when I "race" him around our circle on his bicycle.
3. I love all the technology (my Garmin 405, Nike+, Twitter chats, Daily Mile, etc...)!
2. I'm too cheap to join the gym. I'd rather spend the money for a gym membership on new clothes!
1. It's pretty much the only time I have to myself during the day. As a working mom and wife of a youth minister, my days are filled with people. Running provides my serenity time and the further I run, the longer I have to myself. I see a marathon in my future, folks. :-)
So, what about YOU? Why do you run? Or if you don't run (yet), why do you want to?