Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Inspiration and My Friend...

One year ago today, I ran my first 5K. It was the Old Cotton Mill Classic that wound through the streets (and up the hills!) of the MSU campus. Eli was just 11 weeks old, and I had been running all of 5 weeks when the race began. I would love to write about this amazing experience of triumph and victory, and share that I was able to run all 3.1 miles at a record-breaking speed...but it wasn't that and I wasn't fast.

I struggled the entire course, and I think I finished in just under 35 minutes. My friend and colleague, Karyn Brown, was there with me every step of the way. She walked with me when the hills got the best of me. She encouraged and pushed me all at the same time. She slowed me down when I got the urge to rush near the end because she knew we had one more hill to climb. We had run several times together before that day and she always shared tips and advice that helped her complete her first 5K (and several more after!). I am forever grateful to her for holding me accountable when I didn't "love" to run. 

As I "celebrate" my one-year racing anniversary, I am so grateful that I have had many people along the way to encourage and inspire me...but none more than my friend. Thank you, Karyn! Can't wait to run together again soon!

A side note: Karyn is a new mom to the most adorable little boy! Diwas Brown made the long trip from Nepal with his proud parents several months ago and is loving life with his new family! If you'd like to follow their difficult but amazing journey, The Brown Family blogs at New Brown Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment