Thursday, January 13, 2011

We all have a story...

One of the reasons I started this blog was because so many of the blogs I've been following make a complete lifestyle change sound...well, easy. And from my own experience, I disagree. There's nothing "easy" about losing weight or becoming a runner/swimmer/cyclist. There's nothing "easy" about overhauling the way you thought about food all your life and changing the way you eat. I've had (and still have!) plenty of struggles along the way, and I wanted to share them to (hopefully) help others with theirs.

Last week, I received this message (via Facebook) from a friend. It erased every doubt I've ever had about starting this blog. We all have a story to tell and telling it just might be what someone else needs to get started or keeping going (Note: I've changed the names).

*****************
Laura,
I read your blog the other day and have to tell you how much you've inspired me! First, I would have never imagined that you had ever dealt with some of the same issues I've dealt with. I think of you as beautiful, thin Laura, and had no idea that weight has been a strugle for you.

Since you've known me for a long time, you probably know that it has been a constant struggle in my life...I've been overweight for most of it and "normal" a little bit of it. The normal times were only after losing it the wrong way--like starving myself. I really hit bottom after my second child was born. I hated looking at myself in the mirror. It made me so sad to feel like I was the fattest person in the room everywhere I went (which may not have been the case, but I felt that way). I felt terrible physically and I was really mean to "Tom" --probably because I was so unhappy with my life. 

So, in September I finally decided to do something about it--more than just starving myself. I adopted a healthy lifestyle, and have lost 43 lbs. since then. I've still got 27 to go to get to my goal of 160, but I feel great. I've started doing Couch to 5K and my goal is to run a 5K...I've never been a runner, so that makes me really nervous, but I'm confident I can do it. I should be at my goal weight by then. I'm super excited and feel the best I've ever felt. And, I'm pretty sure "Tom" loves that I'm not mean anymore! And, seeing you do it just makes me all the more motivated. So...thanks Laura! You're amazing! :)
******************


One of the most important parts of a weight loss journey is to take as many people with you that you can. Our nation is hurting and dying from obesity - just a quick look around you will confirm that. So if you're running, cycling, walking, swimming and/or losing weight in your own little world, let me encourage you now to be open to opportunities to help others. We ALL need a little encouragement and accountability to keep moving. Plus, helping others will keep YOU motivated, too!


And don't try to use the "I don't have time" excuse with me, people! We can all make time to help others!

No comments:

Post a Comment