Thursday, January 20, 2011

Frostbite 1/2 Marathon Saturday

I ran my first 1/2 marathon in Memphis to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital December 4, 2010. Going into the race, I really felt it would be a "bucket list" type experience that I would check off my list and then move on to the next item. Or at best, a once-a-year charity run I did because that race rocks so hard! And then I crossed the finish line...

Now, seven weeks later, I will participate in the Frostbite 1/2 marathon in Starkville. The 13.1-mile course is described as having "rolling hills" in all the promotional materials, but I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it. And the last three miles are just brutal; not just because you've already run 10 miles, but there are three back-to-back very large hills. I am confident I will be battling LuLu and her incessant nagging much of the race, but she'll kick into overdrive at mile 10.

I am praying that I will be able to find the strength to keep going and finish. While my first goal is simply to finish upright and before the finish line is closed (2 hours 45 minutes), I'd like to run the entire distance and close to my first 1/2 marathon time (2:18). I'm hoping I will be able to pace a little better than my first one as most of the runners will be much faster in this race.

While I feel ready physically (except for the soreness I'm still trying to work out of my quads from my kettlebell experience!), I'm very anxious and to be honest, not feeling confident. LuLu has been working her magic - "You're not ready." "The course is too hard." "You're not a fast runner and this race is for "real" runners." "You could relay it - you could do just 6 miles." And my favorite - "What if you don't finish before they close the finish line?" Ugh. Sometimes I really dislike that girl and wish she'd find another head to live in, but then I wouldn't wish her on anyone else.

My husband, the boys and my in-laws are all planning to be at the finish line; that will be good motivation. The weather is going to be just about perfect; 44 degrees and sunny. The first 10 miles are very similar to my typical routes. I know several people running the race, so there will be lots of familiar faces along the way. I'm well-hydrated and will get the right nutrition to fuel my body tomorrow. I will update my playlist tomorrow and, most importantly, I have a new shirt to wear.  Everything is falling into place for a great race...

But will I ever be able to go into a long run or a race without LuLu trying to beat me down?

2 comments:

  1. soooo proud of you. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i loved reading this post! i think you sound like you are super ready...that little voice gets to me sometimes but you have to believe in yourself and not let it win!!! think of how you will feel afterward! and look down on the hills. can't wait to read the followup to the race. i have several friends running it! :)

    ReplyDelete