I like lists. I can't help it; I'm an organization freak that way. Here's my list of 13 things - one for each mile I ran today - about the 2011 Frostbite Half Marathon. Some are cool things that happened. Some are plans for the future. And some are just random thoughts about the race experience. Enjoy!
1) My husband and oldest son surprised me at mile 6! Jeff was snapping pictures (post those later!) and Riley was doling out high five's to the runners. It was a much-needed boost headed into the second half of the race. I have the sweetest (and most supportive) husband ever!
2) My husband, both sons and the greatest in-laws EVER were at the finish line cheering me on. Riley even "finished” the race with me; I passed them on the corner and then he chased me to the finish line. Sorry, to the race organizers...but it was pretty darn cute.
3) I met three really awesome people that I connected with via Twitter. Terry and Meredith Sullivan (@LivngRIGHTnow and (@thaREALmeredith) and Rod Simmons (@RodsRacers). If you're on Twitter (and you should be!), follow them all three! They are cooler in person than they are on Twitter…if that’s even possible.
4) It's confirmed - I love my job! I had several students with a great sign (pic to follow) cheering me on at the top of the most brutal hill on the course and received countless "good luck" and "how did it go?" messages before and after! Thanks, gang!
5) I have a new PR (personal record) for the half marathon. I finished in 2:14 (will add the seconds when they post official times). That's four minutes faster than my St. Jude's time seven weeks ago! I had to walk the last little bit of a couple of hills, but I am still very pleased.
6) Even in 40 degree temps, you can get a tan. I have tan lines on my legs where my capris ended and socks began.
7) I am going to have to find something other than the sport beans for during-the-race energy. They do not seem to do the trick and actually seem to have a reverse effect. Open to suggestions!
8) Bright orange (as in hunter legal!) is not really what I would consider a “good” color for me. But I guarantee you, I will wear my race shirt out, so get ready. You’ll see me coming in it…from far away.
9) The smell of cow/horse manure is not cool when you’re breathing deeply. Definitely a “con” for a race that begins in Pheba, Mississippi.
10) I'm convinced that the Twitter running community is second-to-none! The messages and encouragement from my tweeps leading up to and after the race were also amazing!
11) I broke my “caffeine curfew” today since the race started at noon. I’m pretty sure I earned it with over 1,600 calories burned during the race.
12) I need to do more strength and speed work before my next distance race…and will.
13) My name is Laura...and I’m addicted to running. As I was nearing the finish line, I was already thinking about my next race.
And big congrats to my friend, Jonathan Miller (blogs at http://jonathandoeslife.com/) on totally rocking the Frostbite Half with a 1:53 finish. Folks, that is 30 MINUTES FASTER than his time last year! AAHHMAZING!
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me...